Saturday, May 3, 2008

MVP and Some New Cards

I read in the LA Times this morning and learned of of an inside scoop that Kobe has already been voted MVP. The official announcement will come next week. I couldn't be happier. It only took 12 long years. Surprisingly, Kobe is only the 4th Laker to be named MVP, following Kareem, Magic, and Shaq.
I also stopped by another hobby shop today and picked up some cool items. I bought two packs of Bowmans D&P since I keep seeing vids on youtube of people making "sick" pulls. I didn't get anything particularly good, but I was surprised to find that every pack comes with a Chrome Rookie card #ed to 2999. They're surprisingly short printed for cards that are so easy to come by. Hopefully, I can pick up a box of these in the near future.



In a little box of $5 products, I found a complete set of 02-03 SP Authentic base cards. They're not worth very much, but I thought it'd be cool to buy my first full set. It of course included the recent 3-in-a-row champions, Shaq and Kobe, as well as the returning Michael Jordan on the Wizards.



My favorite buy of the day was a complete box set of 93-94 Topps Series 1 & 2. I just love buying old school cards and seeing all of the legendary players I grew up watching. Worthy, Olajuwon, Barkley... It was also fun to find cards Of Mugsey Bogues, the shortest NBA player of all time (he was 5'3''), along with Manute Bol and Gheorghe Muresan, the tallest players (both 7'7'').



The inserts of the box were nice. A whole lot of Jordans. But, you can never have enough Jordans. The rookies of '93 weren't very exciting. The Chris Webber was the highlight. But I can't complain about a $5 product. So overall, it was a good day. Looking forward to the spurs vs hornets game tonight. Parker vs Paul and Duncan vs West. Epic match-ups all around.

No comments: